How to register a vehicle when you are out-of-state

Register while out-of-state

You can apply for a New York State registration and a title certificate by mail from outside of New York. You will need to mail these items to a local DMV office 1

You must contact the motor vehicle agency in the other state to determine if their laws require that you register your vehicles there. The definition of "resident" is different in each state. Read the NY State definition of 'resident.' 5

Once we process your application, we will send you these items in one package

  • your registration documents
  • your vehicle plates
  • a 10-day Inspection Extension Sticker (VS-1077)

Put the 10-day Inspection Sticker on your vehicle when you enter New York State (not before).  Mark the box on the sticker that indicates you entered New York, and write the date you entered.

We will send you your title certificate separately. Allow up to 90 days to receive it from us.

When you will get your documents

  • Allow 6 weeks for your registration documents to arrive by mail.
  • Allow 90 days for your title certificate to arrive. 

It will take longer to receive your documents if you are outside of the United States. 

Get registration documents by express mail

To get your registration documents by express mail, enclose a pre-paid, pre-addressed express mail package with your application. Make sure the package can contain vehicle plates.

You can have your registration mailed to a different address  

To have your registration documents mailed to an address that is different from what will be printed on your registration document, include a separate note with your Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82), and clearly print the alternate address. Do not write the alternate address on your application. If you do, DMV will prints the alternate address on your registration document and registration record.

You cannot have your new vehicle title mailed to a different address

 The DMV sends the title certificate to the mailing address on your registration application. The DMV cannot send the title certificate to another address.

Vehicles coming from another country

Read the instructions for how to register an imported vehicle.

Having another another person submit your registration application at a DMV office

Read the instructions for how to register a vehicle for someone else to learn how to do this.


Do it by mail

Mail your completed registration application, additional documents and payment to a DMV office.

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.