How to renew a registration


Renew your registration before it expires

  • renewing early will not change the new expiration date for your new registration
  • members of the Armed Forces may have more time to renew (see Automatic license and registration extension for military personnel)
  • all motorcycle registrations expire on April 30, You must renew your motorcycle registration for the current year before you can renew for the next year.

You cannot renew a registration that

Ways to renew


You can renew online prior to or up to one year past the expiration date.

You will need
  • your registration (plate) number – see where to find your plate number
  • your registration class – see where to find your registration class
  • the last name of the person on the registration (or business name)
  • a credit or pinless debit card to pay the fee– the fee is on your renewal notice and will display on your computer screen if you use the online renewal

Renew registration online


Temporary registrations

When you renew online, you can download and print a temporary registration that is valid until the expiration date listed on the temporary. Only use the temporary registration if your registration is expired or about to expire while you wait for your new registration documents to arrive in the mail.

No fee registrations

If you are eligible for a 'no fee' registration, you will need to renew at an office. You will need to bring documentation to prove you are eligible for exempt status.

You cannot renew registrations online for
  • vehicles that are exempt registration fees - you must bring documentation that proves the vehicle is eligible for exempt status to a DMV office
  • vehicles that require proof of insurance, a tax certificate, or another document for each renewal
  • vehicles that weigh 55,000 lbs. or more
  • for-hire vehicles (this includes taxis, livery vehicles, and buses)
  • semi-trailers with 6-year registrations
  • vehicles with an apportioned registration issued under the International Registration Plan (IRP)
  • vehicles with an ambulance, New York Press (NYP), government or official registration
  • rental vehicles
  • vehicles that have been altered or stretched to increase the number of passengers

By Mail

If you have a renewal notice

Mail the bottom part of your registration renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3) to the address listed on the notice. Include a personal check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" for the fee.

If you do not have a renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3)

Use the Vehicle Registration / Title Application (PDF) (MV-82). If you do not know the correct amount to renew, send a check payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles", but do not write the amount.

Mail the MV-82 and your payment to

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
207 Genesee Street
Utica, NY 13501



At a DMV Office

Bring your registration renewal notice (MV-3 or OP-3) and payment to a DMV office. If you do not have your MV-3 or OP3, complete the Vehicle Registration / Title Application (PDF) (MV-82).

Find a DMV office


More information

Find more information about vehicle registrations,