How to replace plates
You may be able to replace vehicle plates online, by mail, or at a DMV office. See special instructions to
- order personalized or custom plates
- replace or transfer personalized plates
- order Excelsior plates
- replace lost, stolen or destroyed plates
- replace peeling or damaged plates
- replace your registration document and windshield sticker
How do I get a standard series plates to replace my picture or professional plates?
To exchange custom plates for standard series plates
- complete a Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
- bring the form, the plates and your NYS Driver License to a DMV office
- pay a one-time plate exchange fee of $28.75, and surrender your plates
We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.
- 1. You will no longer pay the custom plate fees when you renew your registration. If your registration is in the first year of a two-year registration, you must submit a Request for refund or fee paid for motor vehicle registrations and driver licenses (MV-215) to apply for a refund of the balance of the fee. (A processing fee of $1.00 is subtracted from your refund.) You will not receive a refund if the registration expires in less than one year.