How to replace a title certificate
When you apply for a replacement title at a DMV office, we will NOT hand you a new title while you are there. We print all title certificates in a secure facility in Albany and mail them to the vehicle owner.
We can send you your replacement title by express mail. This will cost extra, and you will need to sign for the delivery. Express mail is not available between Friday at 8:30 pm and Sunday at 8:30 pm. Sending us an application by express mail will not decrease the time it takes to review your application or issue the replacement title.
To order online
- you must be the owner of the vehicle or boat
- you must have a current U.S. address on file with the DMV
- the vehicle must be registered and titled in New York State
- there can be no other changes to the information listed on the title certificate
You cannot order online if
- a title certificate was processed within the last 15 days
- the title certificate is
- a duplicate title certificate requesting removal of a lien
- an original or amended title certificate
- in the name of a deceased owner
- ordered using a Power of Attorney
|Before 8 pm||Next business day||2nd business day|
|Monday - Thursday after 8 pm||2 business days after ordered||3rd business day|
|Friday, Saturday or Sunday||Monday||Tuesday|
- a title ordered before 8 p.m. on Tuesday is printed on Wednesday and mailed on Thursday
- a title ordered after 8 p.m. on Tuesday is printed on Thursday and mailed on Friday
A 'business day' is a weekday that is not a state holiday. If you order your title certificate during or before a weekend and/or a state holiday, the title certificate cannot be processed until the next business day after the weekend and/or state holiday.
An online transaction can only be cancelled on the same day it was ordered.
We mail to the address on the title record
We mail your new title to the current address on your title record. If the registration for your vehicle is in your name, you can first change your address online and then replace your title. If you have allowed someone else to register your vehicle, you cannot change the address on your title record online. Please contact the Title Services Bureau at 1-518-486-4714 to update the address on your title.
Note: If you file a request with the US Postal Service (USPS) to forward mail, there is no guarantee that the USPS will forward your DMV documents to the new address. Please make certain your contact information with the DMV is up to date.
Send these items to the DMV
a completed Application for Duplicate Title (PDF) (MV-902)
proof of identity - this can be a photocopy of your NY State Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID (see Proofs of Identify for Registration and Title (PDF) (ID-82) for other acceptable proof)
a personal check or money order for $20.00 payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
Receive by standard mail
PO Box 2750
Albany, NY 12220-0750
Receive by express mail
Duplicate Title Certificates
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
Use the Title Service Bureau phone number, 1-518-486-4714, on your express mail bill.
(Sending an application express mail will not decrease the time it takes to review the application or issue the replacement title.)
At an office
Bring these items to a DMV office
a completed Application for Duplicate Titl (PDF) (MV-902)
$20.00 for the replacement fee
You will not get your new title at the DMV
When you apply for a replacement title at a DMV office, you will NOT be issued the replacement title while there. All title certificates are printed in a secure facility in Albany and are mailed to the owner. For this reason, the fastest and easiest way to apply for a replacement title is to do it online.
Apply for a title certificate only
Use the Application for Title Only (PDF) (MV-82TON). Follow the instructions carefully.
Do not use to
- apply for both a vehicle registration and a title certificate at the same time
- replace a lost title certificate
Read information about transferring ownership when the previous owner is deceased.
- 1. Your duplicate title certificate will be sent to the address on file at the DMV. If you moved, learn how to change your address.
- 2. A New York State Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card that is current or not expired for more than 2 years can serve as proof of both identity and age.
If you don’t have a New York State Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID, you can provide other kinds of proof.