Register and title a vehicle

You or your business must register and title at a DMV office any vehicle you own or lease. A registration doesn’t need to be in the owner's name, or for only one person. Auto dealers can register and title a vehicle for you, and issue plates (they can charge a fee for this). Most vehicles must comply with California emission standards.

Are or were you in the Armed Forces? See Military & Veteran Resources, and thank you for your service!


What documents do I need to bring to the DMV? 

Here's what you need to bring

Click to check/uncheck the box.original title (or other proof of ownership) 1 

Click to check/uncheck the box.current NYS Insurance ID card (auto liability insurance) 2  

Click to check/uncheck the box.bill of sale and proof of sales tax payment / sales tax form 3

Click to check/uncheck the box.NYS driver license, permit, non-driver ID, or other proof of identity 4

Click to check/uncheck the box.payment for fees and taxes or proof of an exemption 

Click to check/uncheck the box.completed Vehicle Registration Application (MV-82) 

If you register for a business or organization, bring proof of incorporation. 5

Print this checklist or watch a video which shows what you need to bring (starting on minute 1:55).

For quicker service, make a reservation online before visiting offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties. See offices where this service is available.


Save time! Start your registration application online with E-ZVisit.

If you bought your vehicle through a private sale (not from a dealer), you may be able to complete your registration application online and print a barcoded form (MV-82EZ) we can quickly process at the DMV. Not everyone is eligible. 6 Get started with E-ZVisit.


What are the fees?

For most types of registrations the fees depend on the vehicle weight and where you live. When you register a vehicle for the first time, the total fees normally include

  • the sales tax
  • a vehicle plate fee or registration transfer fee
  • a title certificate fee
  • (in most counties) a vehicle use tax
  • either a 1 or 2 year registration fee, depending on the type of registration

You can estimate the registration fees you will need to pay.

What methods of payment can I use?

You can use

  • most credit cards, prepaid cards and debit cards that do not require a PIN 7
  • cash
  • a personal check or a money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"

    You can split your payment between cash and check if you need. 

    What registration documents will the DMV give me?

    At the DMV (or sent to you within 1-2 weeks after you register)

    • 1 or 2 vehicle plates (unless you transfer the registration from another vehicle registered in New York)
    • the registration sticker to put on the vehicle 
    • the registration document 
    • an inspection extension sticker (if you did not get the vehicle from a NYS automobile dealer) 8

    If applicable, we will send you your new title certificate separately. Allow up to 90 days to receive it.

    For quicker service, make a reservation online before visiting DMV offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties.

    Can I register a vehicle in New York if I am not a United States resident? 



    What do I need to know about the Vehicle Identification number on my vehicle or motorcycle? 

    In an effort to protect consumers, the DMV would like to inform you about New York State laws pertaining to vehicle identification numbers (also called VINs).


    Where can I find more instructions for how to register and title my vehicle?

    Read the Instructions Vehicle Registration / Titling Application (MV-82.1), and refer to the webpages listed on this page for specific information about registering various types of vehicles.  


    • 1. Cars, trucks, trailers & motorcycles 

      Model year 1973 or newer, either 
      • NYS Certificate of Title (original or certified copy, not a photocopy) with the transfer ownership section completed by the seller, or
      • acceptable proof of ownership from another state (original or certified copy, not a photocopy)

      Model year 1972 or older, either

      • a NYS Transferable Registration (original or certified copy, not a photocopy) and bill of sale, or
      • acceptable proof of ownership from another state (original or certified copy, not a photocopy)

      See acceptable proofs for other vehicles (manufactured homes, boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, gifted vehicles, vehicles with deceased owners).

    • 2.  

      Your insurance company will:

      1) give you 2 barcoded original NYS Insurance ID cards (see a sample) or provide you with access to your digital electronic NYS Insurance ID Card

      2) send an electronic notice of insurance coverage to the DMV (your insurance agent or broker cannot file this notice)

      Your NYS Insurance ID cards and the electronic notice together verify your coverage. We need both.

      You must register your vehicle within 180 days of the effective date on your Insurance ID Card. Bring one copy or form of your Insurance ID Card with you. The DMV office will keep the paper card.  Keep the other paper card with the vehicle as your proof of insurance. Anyone operating your vehicle must be able to provide proof of insurance.

      Learn more about NYS Insurance Requirements.


    • 3.

      Bill of sale

      You can use the Vehicle Bill of Sale (MV-912) form, or create one that includes the

      • vehicle year and make 
      • vehicle ID number (VIN) or hull ID (HIN)
      • date of the sale
      • purchase price
      • names and signatures of buyer and seller

      Make copies for your records. Give the original bill to DMV.  A bill of sale is not an acceptable without other proofs of ownership. You need a bill of sale even if got the vehicle as a gift.

      Sales tax payment

      If you bought your vehicle from another person in a private sale, both you (the buyer) and the seller must complete the Statement of Transaction {Sales Tax Form} (DTF-802). The DMV calculates the tax and issues a payment receipt.

      If you were not a resident of New York when you purchased the vehicle, use Sales Tax Exemption (DTF-803) to receive a non-resident exemption from NYS sales tax. The DTF-803 defines "non-resident" and "resident".

    • 4.

      You must provide proof of identity and date of birth. You must be at least 16 years old (except for ATV and boat registrations). 

      You can use a New York State

      • driver license
      • learner permit, or
      • non-driver ID card

      that is current or expired less than 2 years as proof of identity and age.

      If you don’t have one of these, see other kinds of proof you can use.

    • 5. See Instructions for Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82.1).
    • 6.

      You cannot use this service if

      • you are not the vehicle owner
      • you are registering for a corporate entity
      • the vehicle is an ATV, boat, motorcycle, snowmobile, trailer or older than model year 1973
      • the vehicle does not have a New York State issued title
      • the vehicle is destroyed or damaged and the costs to repair is more than 75% of its retail value

    • 7. American Express, Discover Card/Novus, MasterCard, VISA
    • 8. The inspection extension sticker allows you 10 days from the registration date to get the vehicle inspected in New York. Any New York State or out-of-state inspection issued to the previous registrant is not valid after the vehicle is registered to you. You must have the vehicle inspected.