Register a pick-up truck as 'passenger' class vehicles

Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?

Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

  • If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
    • the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
    • the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
  • If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
    • the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
    • a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
    • the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping  equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)

NOTE: These modifications must be permanent.  If you use the pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the commercial registration class.

You are not required to apply for passenger class plates for your pick-up. You can use commercial plates.

See Information For Pick-Up Truck Owners (pdf) (MV-114) to get more information.


How can I find my truck’s unladen weight?

The unladen weight of your pick-up truck is stamped on a metal plate located on the door of your vehicle. The unladen weight is also listed on your title certificate. The unladen weight is different from the maximum gross weight (MGW) listed on your registration documents. Before you apply, make sure that the unladen weight of the truck is 6,000 lbs. or less.


Does passenger class change the MGW listed on registration documents? 

No. Passenger class plates on a pick-up truck do not change the maximum gross weight (MGW) listed on the registration documents or the unladen weight listed on the title certificate.


Does passenger class change the registration fees?

No.  Passenger class plates on a pick-up truck do not change the registration fees. Commercial registration fees still apply. The DMV requests the unladen weight to verify that your pick-up truck is eligible for passenger class plates. The DMV does not change the unladen weight or the MGW.


How do I apply for passenger class plates?

You must apply in person at a DMV office

You must surrender your commercial plates (be sure to remove frames and fasteners), and bring your

Click to check/uncheck the box.original title (not a photocopy)

Click to check/uncheck the box.current NY State Insurance ID card (proof of auto liability insurance) 1  

Click to check/uncheck the box.proofs of identity and age 2

Click to check/uncheck the box.a completed Vehicle Registration Application (pdf) (MV-82) - be sure to complete section 6, question 4

Click to check/uncheck the box.payment for the fee  to register as a Passenger Class ($28.75)

The DMV office will issue new registration documents and standard passenger plates with a new number. 

If you had custom plates or personalized plates, your new registration documents will list the numbers from your plates.  The DMV will send you new passenger custom or personalized plates by mail.


My pick-up is rented or leased. What do I need to do?

You must submit a certification (form) provided by the leasing company or owner of the pick-up truck which states that the truck will not be used for commercial purposes.


My registration is about to expire. Can I change the class when I renew?

If your registration will expire in less than 60 days, you can renew your registration at a DMV office and change to passenger class plates when you renew.

You can also get passenger plates with no additional fee when you register a pick-up truck for the first time.


My pick-up truck weighs more than 6,000 pounds. Can I still register it as a passenger class?

No. If you have a pick-up truck that has an unladen weight of 6,001 lbs. or more, you cannot apply for passenger class plates through the process described above. You must modify the truck to qualify for a passenger class registration and passenger class plates. Learn more about vehicle modifications for registration class changes.

If I register my truck as a passenger class, can I drive it on parkways?

The agency that controls a parkway decides if pick-up trucks with passenger class plates are allowed on the parkway. To make sure you can drive your pick-up truck on a parkway, contact the agency that manages the parkway. Some parking regulations and traffic regulations in New York City depend on the type of vehicle plates on your vehicle. Passenger class plates on your pick-up truck can change how New York City regulations affect you. Contact New York City about their regulations.

  • 1.  

    Your insurance company will:

    1) give you 2 barcoded original NY State Insurance ID cards (see a sample) or provide you with access to your digital electronic NY State Insurance ID Card

    2) send an electronic notice of insurance coverage to the DMV (your insurance agent or broker cannot file this notice)

    Your NY State Insurance ID cards and the electronic notice together verify your coverage. We need both.

    You must register your vehicle within 180 days of the effective date on your Insurance ID Card. Bring one copy or form of your Insurance ID Card with you. The DMV office will keep the paper card.  Keep the other paper card with the vehicle as your proof of insurance. Anyone operating your vehicle must be able to provide proof of insurance.

    Learn more about NY State Insurance Requirements.


  • 2.

    You must be at least 16 years old to register a vehicle in New York (except for ATV registrations).  

    You can use a New York State

    • driver license
    • learner permit, or
    • non-driver ID card 

    that is current or not expired for more than 2 years can serve as proof of both identity and age.

    If you don’t have one of these, see other kinds of proof you can use. 

Do it at the DMV

Bring your completed registration application and additional documents to a local DMV office.

Make a reservation online before visiting DMV offices in New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany Counties.

Make a Reservation

For your convenience, many DMV PDF forms can be filled in online and then printed.