Register a vehicle I bought at a sheriff or marshal auction

If you purchased a vehicle at a sheriff or marshal auction, you might not have the title to that vehicle.  However, you can still apply for a New York State registration and a title certificate at a local DMV office.


What to provide to the DMV

One of these


  • the vehicle year, make and VIN
  • the name of the newspaper and the date the ad was published


All of these documents

  • a description of the vehicle (year, make and VIN)
  • the place, date, reason and circumstances of seizure
  • the name and address of the purchaser and the price paid
  •  if the vehicle was sold outside New York City, a statement that all interested parties (owner, lienholder(s), et al.) were notified of the sale


If you register for a business or organization, also bring proof of incorporation. 3


The fees depend on the vehicle weight and where you live. First-time registration fees normally include

  • the sales tax
  • a vehicle plate fee or registration transfer fee
  • a title certificate fee
  • (in most counties) a vehicle use tax
  • either a 1 or 2 year registration fee, depending on the type of registration

You can estimate the registration fees you will need to pay.


Payment types

We accept

  • cash
  • most credit, pinless debit or prepaid cards (American Express, Discover Card/Novus, MasterCard, VISA)
  • a personal check or a money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"

    You can split your payment between cash and check if you need. 


    Additional information

    More help

    See Instructions Vehicle Registration / Titling Application (PDF) (MV-82.1).

    For specific information about registering various types of vehicles, refer to the webpages listed on this page.  


    You do not need to be United States resident to register a vehicle in New York

    As long as you meet the registration requirements, you can register a vehicle here. 


    About Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINS) on vehicles or motorcycles 

    In an effort to protect consumers, the DMV would like to inform you about New York State laws pertaining to vehicle identification numbers (also called VINs).


    California emissions standards

    Most vehicles must comply with California emission standards.


    Sharing registration information

    Read more about sharing your information.


    Registering the vehicle if you have a title

    Read more about registering a vehicle if you have a title.


    1. 1.  

      Your insurance company will:

      1) give you 2 barcoded original NY State Insurance ID cards (see a sample) or provide you with access to your digital electronic NY State Insurance ID Card

      2) send an electronic notice of insurance coverage to the DMV (your insurance agent or broker cannot file this notice)

      Your NY State Insurance ID cards and the electronic notice together verify your coverage. We need both.

      You must register your vehicle within 180 days of the effective date on your Insurance ID Card. Provide one copy or form of your Insurance ID Card with you. The DMV office will keep the paper card.  Keep the other paper card with the vehicle as your proof of insurance. Anyone operating your vehicle must be able to provide proof of insurance.

      Learn more about NY State Insurance Requirements.

    2. 2.

      You must provide proof of identity and date of birth. You must be at least 16 years old (except for ATV and boat registrations). 

      You can use a New York State

      • driver license
      • learner permit, or
      • non-driver ID card
      that is current or expired less than 2 years as proof of identity and age. If you don’t have one of these, see other kinds of proof you can use.
    3. 3. See Instructions for Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82.1).