Register a vehicle with more than one owner or registrant
How to register
The procedures to register a vehicle that has more than one owner or registrant 1 are generally the same as to register (and title) a vehicle that has a single owner or registrant. You can find special instructions below. Follow all the other registrations instructions explained on the register and title a vehicle page.
Can the registration document and the title certificate for a vehicle show two different names?
Yes, they can.
- If the registration and title show two different names, the owner (the name on the title certificate) must authorize the other person to register the vehicle by completing box 3 on the Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82) form.
- If the proof of ownership is a NY State title certificate in the name of the current owner, the title certificate is examined and returned to you at the DMV office.
- If the proof isn’t a NY State title certificate in the name of the current owner, we keep the proofs and mail a NY State title certificate to the owner within 90 days.
The required liability insurance and NY State Insurance ID card must display the name of the registrant, not the name of the owner.
Either the registrant or the owner can bring the registration and title application to a DMV office. The person who applies must show the original proofs of identity and date of birth for both the registrant and the owner.
More than one registrant
There can be two or more registrants. Both the primary registrant and the co-registrant must sign Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82) and provide their proofs of identity and date of birth. Both names must appear on the NY State Insurance ID Card.
- If only one of the registrants is the owner, the owner must complete box 3 on Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82).
- If there are more than two registrants, you must complete Statement of Partnership or Joint Ownership (PDF) (MV-83T).
- If you register a vehicle for a partnership, you must provide proof of a legal partnership.
- If you register a vehicle for a corporation, provide proof of incorporation (see the Instructions for Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82.1) for more information).
Adding a registrant to a registration
You can’t add a name to a current registration. You must apply for a new registration and new vehicle plates in the two names.
Remove a name (person) from a registration
If there is more than one name on the registration, you can apply for a registration amendment to remove one or more names from the registration. Complete the Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82) with the names of the registrants that remain, and show proofs of identity and date of birth. The fee is $3.
To transfer ownership, do both owners need to sign the title certificate?
No. More than one person can own a vehicle, but to transfer ownership, only one of the owners is required to sign the title certificate.
Adding a name to a title certificate
You can’t add a name to a current title certificate. You must apply for a new title certificate that displays the two names. The current owner signs the title certificate to transfer the ownership to the two persons. The two persons must apply for a new title certificate.
- 1. Registrant means the person who the vehicle is or will be registered to.