Register a vehicle for someone else

How do I register a vehicle for someone else? (also referred to as ‘a second party’)

When a person different from the registrant 1 applies for vehicle registration at a DMV office they need to show proof of identity for both people. The only acceptable proofs of identity are the most recently issued

  • NYS Driver License
  • NYS Learner Permit
  • NYS Non-Driver ID Card

The person coming to the DMV must show their original NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID card (not a photocopy) and either a photocopy or the original registrant’s NYS Driver License, Learner Permit, or Non-Driver ID.

The registrant must sign the required forms (see register and title a vehicle).  A second party must have a Power of Attorney to sign a form for another person.

If the registrant is a member of the U.S. Military and is absent from New York, the person coming to the DMV can use these forms

If the second person completes either of the above forms, then the registrant’s NYS Driver License, Permit, or Non-Driver ID and signature aren’t required.

Can the NYS Driver License, Learner Permit or Non-Driver ID be expired?

DMV will accept these proofs if they are less than two years past expiration.

  • 1. Registrant means the person who the vehicle is or will be registered to.