Registration vehicle types
You must register any vehicle owned by you or your business at a DMV office. See specific requirements for different vehicle types below.
If you plan on visiting a DMV office to register most of the common types of vehicles below, please complete the Document Guide to make sure you bring the correct documents with you.
- Passenger and commercial vehicles
- Passenger vehicles include cars, SUVs, vans and motorcycles with no business advertisements that are used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
- Pick-up trucks as 'passenger' class
- Non-residents of New York State with snowmobiles registered in their home states can apply online for a NY State snowmobile registration to operate their snowmobile in New York. If you registered your snowmobile in New York before, do not register again. Instead, you can renew your registration. This is not available to New York residents.
Trailer, agricultural and farm vehicles
- Trailer (includes recreation and house trailer)
- Custom and homemade trailers
- Agricultural and farm vehicles