Dealers and transporters
IMPORTANT: See the guidance for treating the Catalytic Converter as a Major Component Part, effective April 15, 2023.
Open a business
The New York State DMV regulates all repair shops, inspection stations, dealers, vehicle dismantlers and other related businesses in New York.
- General information for dealers and transporters
- Open a dealership
- Become a registered transporter
- Junk and Salvage businesses
- Private Service Bureaus
- Automobile Broker Business
- Order secure paper certificates of sale
- Renew a business registration or license
- Amend or replace a business registration or license
- Update business records
- Check a title or lien status
- Facility order lookup
- Close a dealer or transporter business
Complaints and charges
The DMV advises all consumers who have a complaint against a dealer or transporter, to make an attempt to resolve their complaint with the business manager. If they are not successful, they are advised to contact the DMV Consumer & Facilities Services Complaint Unit.
- About complaints and charges
- Respond to hearings and waiver notices
- Suspensions, revocations and appeals
- Pay civil penalties