Driver Training Programs
For the driver
- Driver training/pre-licensing course
The Classroom Pre-Licensing Course is available through high schools, colleges, and many driving schools. To find providers in your area, use our driving school locator, or search online for "Driving Instruction."
The Online Pre-Licensing Course is available through DMV-approved providers.
- Point and Insurance Reduction Program (also known as Defensive Driving Course)
For the business/instructor
Open a driving school
A driving school is a formal class or program that prepares a new driver to obtain a learner permit. A driving school instructor is a person who has been certified to teach individuals to drive a motor vehicle for a licensed driving school.
- Open a driving school
- Requirements and forms to open a driving school
- Become a driving school instructor
Existing driving schools
- Renew driving school license
- Renew driving school instructor certificate
- Road Test Scheduling System
- Self-Certification Program
Driver education resources
- Requirements and forms for driver education providers
- Order Driver Manuals
- Graduated License Law (GDL)
- Resources for younger drivers
The Pre-licensing Course, also known as “the 5-hour course,” is a DMV-designed course that provides new drivers with information to help them drive safely.
- Become a classroom pre-licensing course provider
- Requirements and forms for the classroom pre-licensing course
- Order classroom pre-licensing course completion certificates
- Pre-Licensing Course Internet Pilot Program information
- Guidance for Distance Learning and the Pre-licensing Course
Point & Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP & i-PIRP)
The Point and Insurance Reduction Program is a DMV-approved course designed to teach motorists critical information about Highway Safety and Accident Prevention.
- Become a PIRP sponsor
- Become a PIRP delivery agency or instructor
- Become an i-PIRP/ADM provider
- Requirements and forms for the PIRP & i-PIRP programs
- Find PIRP sponsors
Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation Program (IDP) Providers