Driver Training Programs


Effective February 7, 2022: If you are applying for a CDL for the first time or adding a Hazmat, Passenger, or School Bus endorsement for the first time, you must complete entry-level driver training (ELDT) prior to taking a CDL road test. Hazmat ELDT is required prior to taking the Hazardous Materials knowledge test. The training provider must be registered on the FMCSA Training Provider Registry. Go to the Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) FAQ for more information about the ELDT requirement.


For the driver


For the business/instructor 

Open a driving school

A driving school is a formal class or program that prepares a new driver to obtain a learner permit. A driving school instructor is a person who has been certified to teach individuals to drive a motor vehicle for a licensed driving school.


Existing driving schools 

 Driver education resources


Pre-licensing course

The Pre-licensing Course, also known as “the 5-hour course,” is a DMV-designed course that provides new drivers with information to help them drive safely. 


Point & Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP & i-PIRP)

The Point and Insurance Reduction Program is a DMV-approved course designed to teach motorists critical information about Highway Safety and Accident Prevention. 


Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation Program (IDP) Providers