Repair & Body Shops
IMPORTANT: See the guidance for treating the Catalytic Converter as a Major Component Part, effective April 15, 2023.
Open a business
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) regulates all repair shops, inspection stations, dealers, vehicle dismantlers and other related businesses in New York State.
- Renew a business registration or license
- Amend or replace a business license
- Update business records
- Facility order lookup
- Close a repair or body shop
Complaints and charges
DMV advises all consumers who have a complaint against a repair or body shop, to make an attempt to resolve their complaint with the business manager. If they are not successful, they are advised to contact the DMV Consumer & Facilities Services Complaint Unit.
- About complaints & charges
- Respond to hearings & waiver notices
- Suspensions, revocations and appeals
- Pay civil penalties