Renew by Mail
If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can renew by mail. Your document type will stay the same.
Complete the renewal notice we mailed you and return it with:
- A completed Vision Test Report (MV-619) or get tested by an approved vision registry provider. (Find a test location now.)
- A check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" (see payment and fees)
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
If you did not receive a renewal notice, you can use the Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44)
Renew at a DMV Office
You must renew at a DMV Office if you:
- Are changing from a standard ID to an Enhanced or REAL ID (see how to get an Enhanced or REAL ID)
- Want to update your photo
- Want to change your license class.
To renew a standard document type:
- Complete the renewal notice (MV-2) you received in the mail. If you did not receive a renewal notice, use the Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44).
- Submit to a DMV office:
- Your current Standard license
- Your renewal notice or application
- Payment by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. (see payment and fees)
Office Procedures Have Changed Due to COVID-19
We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.
Fees and Payment
Your renewal fee is on the renewal application we mail you and displayed before you pay online. Follow the link below for a chart of fees for different types of licenses.
Payment: If you apply by mail or at a DMV office, you can pay by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. To apply online, you must use a credit/debit card. The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)