Department of Motor Vehicles

Replace by Mail

If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can replace by mail. Your document type will stay the same.

Complete an Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44) (if you do not know your DMV ID number, enter your date of birth and name as it appeared on your old document) and return it with:

  • Photocopies of acceptable proof of identity
  • Payment of $17.50 (check or money order payable to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles')


Mail to:

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874

Replace at a DMV Office

Starting in October 2021, you will need an Enhanced or REAL ID to board a domestic flight (unless you have a passport). 


You do not have to get an Enhanced or REAL ID. To replace a Standard document type, submit to a DMV office


Make an Appointment