Replace by Mail
If you already have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or you want to keep your Standard, you can replace by mail. Your document type will stay the same.
Complete an Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44) (if you do not know your DMV ID number, enter your date of birth and name as it appeared on your old document) and return it with:
- Photocopies of acceptable proof of identity
- Payment of $17.50 (check or money order payable to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles')
NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
207 Genesee Street, Suite 6
Utica, NY 13501-2874
Replace at a DMV Office
You do not have to get an Enhanced or REAL ID. To replace a Standard document type, submit to a DMV office
- Your current 'Standard' New York State license (unless you lost it)
- A completed Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) (MV-44)
- Payment by credit/debit card or a check or money order made out to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles'