Schedule and take a road test
You do not need to take your test in the area of the state where you live. To get the earliest appointment possible, be sure to check multiple locations.
- a valid New York State learner permit (see a sample learner permit)
- an original, unexpired Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or a Driver Education Certificate (MV-285) 1
- at least one unused test available 2
- the ZIP Code for the test site - find test locations, directions and ZIP Codes
About the Road Test Scheduling System
- it offers the earliest available dates and times at several sites near your chosen ZIP Code 3
- to reschedule your test, you must cancel your appointment before you can search for a new date (you cannot have more than one appointment at a time)
- tests are almost always on weekdays (only rarely do we offer them on a Saturday)
- you can confirm an appointment by entering your 9-digit DMV ID Number from your learner permit (Client ID Number)
Please be on time for your test
Try to arrive up to 30 minutes before the time of your test. If you are late, the license examiner may need to reschedule.
Bring to your test
You'll need all of the following
your photo learner permit 4
glasses or contacts, if your permit indicates you need corrective lenses
your original Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Certificate (MV-285), copies are not acceptable
if you are under 18, a Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262) completed by your parent or guardian - this must be given to the license examiner each time you take a road test
a driver age 21 or older who has a license valid to operate the test vehicle
a vehicle to drive during the test that has a valid registration and inspection, operates properly and is in clean condition 5
If you are taking a motorcycle road test you will also need
a properly operating, registered and inspected motorcycle 6
a properly operating, registered and inspected motor vehicle and a driver with a valid driver license to transport the license examiner during your road test
To check for road test cancellations or relocations due to adverse weather or road construction, see cancellations, closings and delays, or call 1-518-402-2100.
The fee for up to two road tests for a non-commercial license is included in your $10.00 driver license application fee.
If you do not pass your first two tests, you must pay another $10.00 fee for up to two more tests. There is no refund if you do not take both tests.
For a road test for a commercial driver license (CDL) the fee for a single test is $40.00. See Get a CDL.
After you pass your road test
- Our license examiner will give you an interim license that allows you to drive. Keep the interim license with your photo learner permit.
- You will receive your photo driver license in the mail, in about 2 weeks.
- If you are under age 18 and have a Class DJ, MJ or DJMJ driver license, you must obey the restrictions for junior drivers (see Graduated Driver License (GDL) Law and restrictions on drivers under age 18)
If you fail your test
Don't worry. If you fail a non-commercial license road test, your learner permit remains valid until the expiration date. If your learner permit expires before your next road test, you must get a new learner permit. See Get a learner permit.
You can schedule another road test, but you must pay additional fees if you failed your first two road tests. You will need to wait at least one day to take the test again.
How to pay for additional tests
If you fail your road test, you can pay for additional tests online or by phone. To pay, you must
- have a valid learner permit or driver license
- provide your DMV ID Number from your Learner Permit (Client ID Number) and your date of birth
- have no other road tests currently available
- pay the fee with a credit or debit card 7
Pay additional fees by phone: 1-518-402-2100
How to confirm, cancel or reschedule a road test appointment
You can check on, cancel or reschedule your road test online or by phone at 1-518-402-2100. You must provide the DMV ID Number from your Learner Permit (Client ID Number).
- 1. For information about how to get a Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278), see Prepare for your road test.
The fee for up to two road tests for a non-commercial license is included in your $10.00 driver license application fee.If you do not pass your first two road tests, you must pay another $10.00 fee for up to two more road tests
- 3. Usually, the earliest date is within three to five weeks, but at peak testing periods during summer and school breaks it may be up to 10 weeks away. There are no waiting lists.
- 4. If you have an interim or temporary learner permit without a photo, you must also show a NYS photo driver license or a NYS non-driver ID Card. Photo documents from other states are not acceptable.
- 5. The vehicle must have functional seat belts, headlights, windshield wipers and other equipment, a front passenger area and seatbelt free of trash, clutter or debris that might stain or damage the license examiner’s uniform, and a front passenger door that is able to be opened from the inside of the vehicle
- 6. The motorcycle must not have more than three wheels in contact with the ground
The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)