Schedule and take a road test
Reservations are available for road tests statewide.
Please Note: After November 3, 2020, customers will not be tested if the vehicle has an expired registration or inspection. The tests will need to be re-scheduled. We will honor any pre-licensing course completion certificates that expired during the COVID-19 emergency.
For the safety of everyone at our road test sites, all customers, which include accompanying drivers and any other passengers in a vehicle arriving at a test site, must wear face coverings and maintain 6 feet of distance from other customers and staff whenever possible. Face coverings include cloth, surgical masks, N-95 respirators, or face shields. Customers will also need to disinfect the passenger side of the vehicle with disinfectant wipes that DMV provides upon arrival. DMV road test examiners will wear gloves, face coverings, and will have hand sanitizer.
To maintain proper social distancing protocols, you should only arrive with one accompanying driver. You and your accompanying driver will have your temperature taken and be screened prior to beginning the test. If there are multiple applicants in a vehicle, and one of the applicants, or the accompanying driver, does not pass the screening process, none of the applicants in the vehicle will be tested at that time. Their tests will need to be re-scheduled.
Please see DMV Reopening Guidance for more information.
If you are under 18
If you are under age 18, you must wait at least 6 months from the date you received your learner permit to schedule your road test.
The fee for up to 2 road tests for a non-commercial license was included in your $10.00 driver license permit application fee.
If you do not pass your first 2 tests, you must pay another $10.00 fee for up to 2 more tests. There is no refund if you do not take both tests.
For a road test for a commercial driver license (CDL) the fee for a single test is $40. See Get a CDL.
What you need to schedule
- a valid New York State learner permit (see a sample learner permit)
- an original, unexpired Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285) (for more information about how to get a Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278), see Prepare for your road test)
- the ZIP Code of where you choose to take the test – see Road test locations
- at least 1 unused test available from when you applied for your license
Select a location
You do not need to take your test in the area of the state where you live.
Search the list of test location sites by region or county.
Be sure to remember the ZIP Code of the location you selected.
We are sorry. The road test scheduling system is currently down. We expect to have it restored soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Need to reschedule a test date?
To reschedule your test, please search for a new appointment date to check availability, then cancel your original appointment before booking your new date (you cannot have more than one appointment at a time).
On your test day
Make sure your test was not rescheduled or relocated
Tests can be cancelled/rescheduled or relocated because of bad weather or road construction. Before you leave for your test, check the DMV cancellations, closings and delays webpage or call 1-518-402-2100.
Be on time
Try to arrive up to 30 minutes before the time of your test. If you are late, the license examiner may not be able to conduct your test and you will have to reschedule.
- your photo learner permit
- glasses or contacts, if your permit indicates you need corrective lenses
- your original Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), copies are not acceptable
- if you are under 18, a Certification of Supervised Driving (PDF) (MV-262) completed by your parent or guardian - this must be given to the license examiner each time you take a road test
- a driver age 21 or older who has a license valid to operate the test vehicle
- a vehicle to drive during the test that has a valid registration and inspection, operates properly and is in clean condition
- only the accompaning driver of the vehicle (no other passengers are allowed)
- a face covering yourself and the accompanying driver (e.g. homemade sewn, quick cut, bandanna), surgical mask, N-95 respirator, or face shield)
For a motorcycle test, you also need
- a properly operating, registered and inspected motorcycle
- a properly operating, registered and inspected motor vehicle and a driver with a valid driver license to transport the license examiner during your road test
If the accompanying driver does not possess a valid license with a motorcycle endorsement, the motorcycle must either be brought by trailer or pickup truck to the road test post.
Print this checklist to help make sure you have everything you need for your road test.
After you pass your test
- our license examiner will give you an interim license that allows you to drive. Keep the interim license with your photo learner permit
- you will receive your photo driver license in the mail, in about 2 weeks
- if you are under age 18 and have a Class DJ, MJ or DJMJ driver license, you must obey the restrictions for junior drivers (see Graduated Driver License (GDL) Law and restrictions on drivers under age 18)
What to do if you fail your test
Do not worry
If you fail a non-commercial license road test, your learner permit remains valid until the expiration date. If your learner permit expires before your next road test, you must get a new learner permit. See Get a learner permit.
You can schedule another road test, but you must pay additional fees if you failed your first two road tests. You will need to wait at least one day to take the test again.
How to pay for additional tests
If you fail your road test, you can pay for additional tests online or by phone. To pay, you must
- have a valid learner permit or driver license
- provide your DMV ID Number from your Learner Permit (Client ID Number) and your date of birth
- have no other road tests currently available
- pay the fee with a credit or debit card
Pay additional road tests by phone: 1-518-402-2100
The DMV accepts
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)
- 1. Applicants who complete the online version of the course will NOT receive a MV-278 Pre-Licensing Course Completion Certificate. The course provider will report course completions to DMV automatically and applicants will NOT have to show a completion certificate when appearing for the road test.
- 2. If you have an interim or temporary learner permit without a photo, you must also show a NY State photo driver license or a NY State non-driver ID Card. Photo documents from other states are not acceptable.
You do not need the Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285) if you completed the Online Pre-Licensing Course. The course provider will report course completions to DMV automatically and applicants will NOT have to show a completion certificate when appearing for the road test.
- 4. To maintain proper social distancing protocols, you should only arrive with one accompanying driver.
- 5. The vehicle must have functional seat belts, headlights, windshield wipers and other equipment, a front passenger area and seatbelt free of trash, clutter or debris that might stain or damage the license examiner’s uniform, and a front passenger door that is able to be opened from the inside of the vehicle
- 6. The motorcycle must not have more than three wheels in contact with the ground