Schedule and take a road test
Use the DMV Road test system to schedule confirm, cancel or reschedule a driving skills road test (including CDL and motorcycle) online or by phone. Be sure to review the ‘On your test day’ section below before you go to your road test.
If you are under 18
If you are under age 18, you must wait at least 6 months from the date you received your learner permit to schedule your road test.
The fee for up to two road tests for a non-commercial license is included in your $10.00 driver license application fee.
If you do not pass your first two tests, you must pay another $10.00 fee for up to two more tests. There is no refund if you do not take both tests.
For a road test for a commercial driver license (CDL) the fee for a single test is $40.00. See Get a CDL.
- a valid New York State learner permit (see a sample learner permit)
- an original, unexpired Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285)
- the ZIP Code for the test site - find test locations, directions and ZIP Codes
Finding a test location and date
You do not need to take your test in the area of the state where you live.
Tests are almost always on weekdays (only rarely do we offer them on a Saturday)
Schedule, confirm, cancel or reschedule now
To reschedule your test, you must cancel your appointment before you can search for a new date (you cannot have more than one appointment at a time).
On your test day
Make sure your test was not rescheduled or relocated
Tests can be cancelled/rescheduled or relocated because of bad weather or road construction. Before you leave for your test, check the DMV cancellations, closings and delays webpage or call 1-518-402-2100.
Be on time
Try to arrive up to 30 minutes before the time of your test. If you are late, the license examiner may need to reschedule.
- your photo learner permit
- glasses or contacts, if your permit indicates you need corrective lenses
- your original Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), copies are not acceptable
- if you are under 18, a Certification of Supervised Driving (PDF) (MV-262) completed by your parent or guardian - this must be given to the license examiner each time you take a road test
- a driver age 21 or older who has a license valid to operate the test vehicle
- a vehicle to drive during the test that has a valid registration and inspection, operates properly and is in clean condition
- only the accompaning driver of the vehicle (no other passengers are allowed)
- a face covering yourself and the accompanying driver (e.g. homemade sewn, quick cut, bandanna), surgical mask, N-95 respirator, or face shield)
- disinfecting wipes to clean the passenger side of your vehicle before the test begins
For a motorcycle test, you also need
- a properly operating, registered and inspected motorcycle
- a properly operating, registered and inspected motor vehicle and a driver with a valid driver license to transport the license examiner during your road test
After you pass your test
- our license examiner will give you an interim license that allows you to drive. Keep the interim license with your photo learner permit
- you will receive your photo driver license in the mail, in about 2 weeks
- if you are under age 18 and have a Class DJ, MJ or DJMJ driver license, you must obey the restrictions for junior drivers (see Graduated Driver License (GDL) Law and restrictions on drivers under age 18)
If you fail your test
Don't worry. If you fail a non-commercial license road test, your learner permit remains valid until the expiration date. If your learner permit expires before your next road test, you must get a new learner permit. See Get a learner permit.
You can schedule another road test, but you must pay additional fees if you failed your first two road tests. You will need to wait at least one day to take the test again.
How to pay for additional tests
If you fail your road test, you can pay for additional tests online or by phone. To pay, you must
- have a valid learner permit or driver license
- provide your DMV ID Number from your Learner Permit (Client ID Number) and your date of birth
- have no other road tests currently available
- pay the fee with a credit or debit card
Pay additional fees by phone: 1-518-402-2100
- 1. For information about how to get a Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278), see Prepare for your road test.
- 2. The fee for up to two road tests for a non-commercial license is included in your $10.00 driver license application fee.
- 3. Usually, the earliest date is within three to five weeks, but at peak testing periods during summer and school breaks it may be up to 10 weeks away. There are no waiting lists.
- 4. If you have an interim or temporary learner permit without a photo, you must also show a NY State photo driver license or a NY State non-driver ID Card. Photo documents from other states are not acceptable.
- 5. To maintain proper social distancing protocols, you should only arrive with one accompanying driver.
- 6. The vehicle must have functional seat belts, headlights, windshield wipers and other equipment, a front passenger area and seatbelt free of trash, clutter or debris that might stain or damage the license examiner’s uniform, and a front passenger door that is able to be opened from the inside of the vehicle
- 7. The motorcycle must not have more than three wheels in contact with the ground
The DMV accepts:
- American Express® Card
- Discover Card®/Novus®
- MasterCard® Debit card without personal identification number (PIN)
- VISA® Card
- Visa Debit Card without personal identification number (PIN)