How to plead to or pay New York City (NYC) 'TVB' traffic tickets

New York City tickets

All non-criminal traffic violation tickets issued in the 5 boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island) are adjudicated by the Department of Motor Vehicles Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB).

TVB does not handle parking violations, red light camera offenses, criminal driving violations (for example, DWI), or tickets answerable in a local court.

Tickets from outside of New York City

The Traffic Violations Bureau does not adjudicate tickets outside of New York City. See information about tickets received outside of New York City.


Traffic Violations Bureau Live Chat

Did you receive a moving violation ticket within the five boroughs of New York City? Get your questions answered by a live agent! Live chat is available Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Please note: We can only answer questions for non-criminal moving traffic violations issued in the five boroughs of New York City. The DMV does not handle red light camera tickets or parking violation tickets. Ticketing systems is not able to process payments via live chat.

Choose a plea option

If you received a ticket in New York City, you have 2 options to enter a plea on a ticket.

1: Plead "guilty” and pay the ticket

You can plead guilty online, by mail, or over the phone.

  • You cannot plead ‘guilty’ online if the conviction will result in the suspension or revocation of your driving privilege. You must appear or submit a Statement in place of Appearance to a TVB office.
  • If you plead guilty, you cannot change your plea.

Please know there may be additional fees or fines associated with the ticket which you will need to pay, such as a driver responsibility assessment (DRA), which you will need to handle separately.  

  • The driver responsibility assessment is a fee you must pay to DMV over a 3-year period if you are convicted of certain traffic offenses in New York State or accumulate 6 or more points on your driving record within 18 months.  This fee is in addition to any fines, penalties, or surcharges that you must pay for a traffic conviction.  The purpose of the assessment is to prevent the repeated behavior of problem drivers and to improve traffic safety. 

If you previously pleaded ‘not guilty to a traffic ticket, you can change your plea to ‘guilty. To avoid additional fees, you must complete this transaction before the date of the hearing.

2: Plead “not guilty” and schedule a TVB hearing

For a hearing, follow these steps:

Step 1: Schedule your hearing

Step 2: Complete a Statement In Place of Personal Appearance

Step 3: The judge will hold the hearing and you will be notified of the decision by email at the address you provided

  • Your hearing must be held in the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued. 

If you fail to appear or to submit a Statement in Place of Personal Appearance for your hearing:

    • your driving privilege will be suspended
    • you may need to pay additional fines
    • you may be convicted by default
Rescheduling a ‘not guilty’ hearing

After you select a hearing date and time, you can return to the online transaction one time to select a different date and time. 

If you have not previously rescheduled, and there are no dates available, you must contact the TVB to reschedule your hearing.


Ways you can plead to or pay your ticket

Before you begin:

Please note that in some cases it can take several days for a ticket to be reported to the DMV and get entered into our system. If your traffic ticket is not currently in our system, you can request to be notified by email when your record is updated. Please verify your computer privacy settings and check your spam folder for an email notification. If you do not receive a notification, you are still responsible to contact TVB and enter a plea for your ticket. If you have further questions, please call the Traffic Violations Bureau at (718) 488-5710.


1. Do it Online – you can:

  • Plead “guilty” and pay your ticket
  • Pay fines associated with a previous guilty decision
  • Plead “not guilty” and schedule a hearing

Note: You cannot plead ‘not guilty’ online if your driving privilege is suspended for failure to answer the ticket. If you have received a notice of pending suspension for failure to answer this ticket, you must go into a TVB office or schedule over the phone.

  • Reschedule a “not guilty” hearing - one time only
  • Change an earlier “not guilty” plea to “guilty” for tickets that do not require your appearance
  • Request the TVB to schedule or reschedule your hearing if there are no hearing dates available in the online system
  • Request to be notified by email when your traffic ticket has been entered into our system
You will need your
  • TVB traffic ticket number. If you do not have the ticket number, enter all of the other information to determine if we can locate the ticket record.
    • Out of state motorists must have a ticket number.
  • DMV ID Number (Client ID Number) from your New York State license, permit, or non-driver ID; or
  • full name, date of birth, and gender as they appear on the traffic ticket.
Your traffic ticket must 
  • display the words 'Traffic Violations Bureau' at the bottom (see a sample ticket)
  •  be an 'open' ticket (unresolved)

If your address has changed and you plead ‘not guilty’ you must provide your new address so we can send you a Notice of Hearing in the mail. This will not update your other DMV records. Learn how to change your address on your license or registrations.


Plead to or pay tickets online



2. By Mail

Enter your plea on the ticket. If you are pleading guilty, include the appropriate fee payable to 'Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.'

Mail to:

Traffic Violations Plea Unit
P.O. Box 2950 - ESP
Albany, NY  12220-0950

You will need your:
  • Traffic Ticket
    • Select if you are pleading guilty or not guilty
    • Sign the back of the ticket
    • Indicate any address updates
  • Appropriate fee (if applicable)
    • Check, money order or credit card
  • Proof of an equipment violation resolution; such as a repaired headlight (if applicable)


3. Call

Phone: 718-488-5710
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. weekdays (except state holidays)

You will need your:
  • Personal information to answer questions so we can determine your identity
  • A credit card to pay appropriate fees (if applicable)



Additional Traffic Violations Bureau information

Information for those answering tickets resulting in 5 or more points.

You may want to consult with an attorney before entering a plea if:

  • You have 3 or more alcohol-related convictions on your entire driving record 
  • Your violation would result in 5 or more points if you plead guilty or were found guilty at trial.


Information for those answering a ticket received while riding a bicycle. 

If you received a traffic violation in New York City while riding your bicycle or in-line skates, you must plead to the ticket in the same way as with any other TVB tickets:

  • Online
  • By phone
  • By mail
  • At a TVB office

Note: convictions for bicycle or in-line skate violations do not require the payment of a surcharge and they do not result in points being applied to your driving record.


Information for attorneys scheduling a hearing on behalf of their client

If you are an attorney admitted to the Bar in New York State who would like to obtain an online account to process ‘not guilty’ pleas and schedule hearings online for motorists who are your clients, please submit a TVB Ticket Management for Attorneys - Application for Web Access (PDF) (AA-15) to the Traffic Violations Division - Attorney Scheduling.