Point & Insurance Reduction Program
What is the Point and Insurance Reduction Program?
The Point & Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP) is also known as the Defensive Driving Course or Motor Vehicle Accident Prevention Course. It is a comprehensive driver safety course which provides knowledge and techniques for safe and lawful driving. It is available throughout New York State through private companies or corporations, called "course sponsors," that are approved by DMV. Each course must meet strict standards for the type of information presented and program effectiveness.
What are the benefits of taking a Defensive Driving/Accident Prevention course?
Completing an approved defensive driving class will
- refresh your driving knowledge
- help to prevent you from losing your license in the event you accrued 11 or more points on your driving record
- 4 points are 'subtracted' for the purposes of calculating a suspension if you have 11 or more points
- the tickets/points do not physically come off your driving record
- learn about the NYS driver point system
- reduce the base rate of your auto and motorcycle insurance premiums 10% each year for three years
Completion of a defensive driving/accident prevention course does not
- prevent a mandatory suspension or revocation
- eliminate your responsibility to pay a driver responsibility assessment
- give you a way to reduce future driver violation points
How can I find a Defensive Driving/Accident Prevention course?
You can take a defensive driving course in a classroom setting, online or through other delivery methods such as DVD or digital cable.
- find an approved classroom provider
- find an approved online or other alternative delivery method provider (I-PIRP/ADM)
How long is a classroom course?
The traditional classroom course is presented in one or more sessions and includes 320 minutes of instruction. Essential information about traffic safety issues such as driver attitude and behavior, defensive driving techniques, and the Vehicle & Traffic Law must be presented in each course. No formal testing is required to complete the course.
How much does the course cost?
The fee for both the classroom and alternative delivery methods vary for each provider. Contact the provider directly to find out the course fee.