Tickets, Points and Penalties
Issued in New York City (Traffic Violations Bureau)
DMV's Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) processes tickets for non-criminal moving traffic violations issued in the five boroughs of New York City. The DMV does not handle red light camera tickets.
- Pay ticket and plead guilty
- Schedule hearing and plead not guilty
- Replace/get a copy of a TVB ticket
- Appeal a TVB ticket conviction
- File an Application to Reopen a Default Conviction
- Find TVB office locations
- More information about tickets received in New York City
Important: You are not required to appear in person at your TVB hearing
For a hearing, follow these steps:
Step 1: Schedule your hearing
Step 2: Complete a Statement In Place of Personal Appearance
Step 3: The judge will hold the hearing and you will be notified of the decision by email at the address you provided
Issued outside of New York City
Traffic tickets that are issued outside of New York City are processed in the criminal or traffic court of the city, county, town or village where the alleged offense took place. To answer these types of traffic tickets, contact the court directly.
- Tickets received outside of New York City
- Traffic Courts in New York State
- Tickets received in another state
DMV does not handle parking violations or regulate parking. If you receive a parking ticket, you must respond to the locality where they were issued. Do not contact DMV.
If you fail to answer parking tickets, the locality can notify the DMV, which can prevent the renewal of your vehicle registration, or suspend your vehicle registration.
The Driver Violation Point System gives the New York State DMV a way to identify and take action against high risk drivers.
- Check your points and driving privilege status
- About the New York point system
- Reduce your points and insurance rate
- Cell phone use and texting
- Insurance lapses
- Alcohol or drug related violations
- Pay driver responsibility assessment (DRA)
- Suspensions and revocations
Safety and Business Hearings
Restore license or driving privilege