Tickets received in New York City

DMV’s Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) processes tickets for non-criminal moving traffic violations issued in the five boroughs of New York City. 1   For more information about the TVB, you can read our brochure.


How do I answer a TVB ticket?

You can answer most TVB tickets online. You can either schedule a hearing for the traffic ticket, or you can pay the fine and surcharge with your credit card. For more information, see how to plead to or pay TVB tickets.

To answer your ticket by mail, enter your plea on the ticket and include the appropriate fee if pleading guilty.

Mail to

Traffic Violations Plea Unit
P.O. Box 2950 - ESP
Albany, NY  12220-0950

To answer your ticket at a TVB office, follow the instructions on the ticket. Be sure to bring proof of identity such as your driver license.


What happens if I do not answer a TVB traffic ticket?

If you do not answer a traffic ticket on time, your driver license will be suspended. It is a crime to drive with a suspended license. A suspension for the failure to answer a ticket does not indicate that you are guilty of the charge. The suspension only indicates that you failed to answer the ticket. To remove the suspension, you must contact the court to

  • answer the ticket
  • pay a $70 suspension termination fee


What happens if I do not respond to my TVB ticket after I receive a suspension notice?

If you continue to ignore the ticket after your license is suspended for failure to answer the ticket, you will automatically be convicted of the charge. This is known as a 'default conviction.' The default conviction is equivalent to a guilty finding. The DMV then suspends your driver license for your failure to pay the fine. To terminate the suspension resulting from the default conviction, you must pay the fine, mandatory surcharge and the suspension termination fees. 2

Note: Some convictions can cause the suspension or the revocation of your driver license. For more information, see Suspensions and Revocations or read the DMV brochure Suppose Your License Were Taken Away.

You can apply once to reopen the default conviction.


What happens if I plead guilty to a violation that results in 5 or more points?

If you have 3 or more alcohol-related convictions on your entire driving record, a plea of guilty to a violation that results in 5 or more points may result in the revocation of your license under Part 132 of the Commissioner's Regulations. You may want to consult with an attorney before entering your plea.