Tickets received outside New York City

Contact the local court

Traffic tickets that are issued outside of New York City are processed in the criminal or traffic court of the city, county, town or village where the alleged offense took place. To answer these types of traffic tickets, contact the court directly. 

Traffic tickets issued in New York City are handled by the DMV’s Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB). Tickets issued for parking violations are not handled by DMV.

No matter where you receive a traffic ticket, follow the instructions on the back of the ticket and be sure to answer the ticket on time.

For more information, contact the court directly.

What happens if I do not answer a traffic ticket?

If you do not answer a traffic ticket on time, your driver license will be suspended. It is a crime to drive with a suspended license. A suspension for the failure to answer a ticket does not indicate that you are guilty of the charge. The suspension only indicates that you failed to answer the ticket. To remove the suspension, you must contact the court to

  • answer the ticket
  • pay a $70 suspension termination fee