A certificate of title for a vehicle (also known as a 'title' or 'pink slip') is a legal document that establishes a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle. 

If you own a vehicle that you need to register, title, and receive plates for, see how to register the vehicle

Existing title holders


Changes to your title


Vehicles, trailers and boats that do not get a title

New York does not issue titles for 

  • cars, trucks, and vans model year 1972 or older
  • boats either model year 1986 or older, or less than 14 feet long 
  • trailers model year 1972 or older, or weighing 999lbs or less

The transferrable registration is the ownership document for these vehicles. Learn how to replace the registration.


Apply for a title certificate only

Use the Application for Title Only (PDF) (MV-82TON) form. Follow the instructions carefully.

Do not use this form to

  • apply for both a vehicle registration and a title certificate at the same time
  • replace a lost title certificate

See how to register and title a vehicle, or how to replace a title certificate.

Junk & Salvage

Regulations require the DMV to mark or 'brand' a title certificate if an 8 year or newer vehicle received damage of 75% or more of the retail value (or was destroyed).